Can I enroll without choosing a major?
Of course! Many students want to earn a college degree, but aren't sure what to study. Students who enroll at Mount St. Joseph University without declaring a major are among our largest group of new and transfer students. Remaining undeclared while exploring majors is a wise option.
  What resources are available to assist me in choosing a major?
Academic advisors from each major and department, or in the Academic Advising Resource Center are happy to help you with a degree progression plan. You will be assigned an academic advisor before enrolling.
  What is a 'Liberal Arts' curriculum?
In a complex, diverse world, Mount graduates possess both the professional skills to enhance workplace success and the qualities of a liberally-educated person. All baccalaureate students take 52 semester credit hours in the core curriculum. In your junior or senior years, you'll participate in a capstone experience. This course combines what you’ve learned in the liberal arts core curriculum with your major. For details, go to Catalogs & Course Schedules.
  What if I want to study two different subjects?
You may pursue multiple majors or add minors (a second field of study along with a major) to specialize in an area different from your major. A minor requires fewer hours than a major.
  How many semester credit hours will it take to earn a degree?

Students need a total of 64 hours for an associate degree and 128 hours for a baccalaureate degree. Students register each semester for five to six courses in the following areas:

  • Core curriculum classes (52 credits total)
  • Major courses (number of credits varies by major)
  • General electives (number of credits vary)

To graduate in four years, you'll need to average 15 to 16 credit hours per semester.

  If I already have a baccalaureate degree, can I earn a new major without retaking Core Curriculum (general education) classes?
If you have already earned baccalaureate degree, you’ll have the core curriculum requirements waived if pursuing a second baccalaureate degree.
  What are 'residency hours?'
The term "residency" is used to describe how long a student should maintain continuous enrollment at their degree granting institution to qualify for the rights, privileges and representation of earning that institution’s degree. The residency requirement for baccalaureate and associate degrees is that the final 30 semester hours must be completed at the University in order to fulfill the residency requirement. Only courses taken at the Mount and through the Consortium qualify for residency.
  How do I register and receive my grades?
You’ll receive a Mount Web password/PIN, which along with your Mount ID number, are the "keys" to your 24/7 access to Mount academic, financial and registration records. Dates, times and procedures for Web registration are published in each semester’s or term’s class schedule. In-person registration support is provided in the Conlan Center, Student Administrative Services. You’ll also have full access to your grades via the Web. Grade reports are mailed only by written request to the Registrar’s Office.
  How does a current or former Mount student obtain a copy of their courses and grades earned (academic transcript)?
Academic transcripts may be obtained by written request to the Registrar’s Office, the Conlan Center. A student’s signature is required to release his/her transcript. Transcripts are issued only after all financial obligations to the University have been fulfilled. Transcript processing time is one to three days.
  Who has access to my educational records?
In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, grades and other information about your academic progress, financial status, conduct on campus, and medical records are not released to individuals or organizations outside the University without your written consent.