Programs for teachers who want to teach reading using highly effective, research-based methods.
- Ohio Reading Endorsement requiring 18 credit hours
- Dyslexia Certificate requiring 21 credit hours
- Master of Arts Degree requiring a total of 34 credit hours
- Designed for the working professional, the Mount's Reading Science programs are convenient to an educators's schedule, available fully online.
- All three options require the same core courses. Students can complete the Ohio reading endorsement in less than one year, then choose to continue studies to earn the dyslexia certificate and/or master's degree.
- The Mount's programs use a scientifically-based reading research model. Coursework includes three courses in Orton-Gillingham Multisensory Reading Instruction. Through our programs students learn instructional approaches to teach reading, writing and spelling using an explicit, sequential, structured language approach with multisensory methodology.
Licensure Disclaimer for Non-Ohio Residents
Mount St. Joseph University is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA). This allows us to offer our online Reading Science program to residents of states outside of Ohio (with the exception of Kentucky). It is important to note that NC-SARA does not deal with professional licensing board approval for any courses or programs leading to professional licensure. Mount St. Joseph University cannot know nor guarantee whether our coursework will meet requirements for professional licensure, endorsements, or license renewal in states outside of Ohio. If you are planning on using our coursework towards a license or credential in your state, we recommend that you consult with the appropriate licensing agency or board in the state for which you seek to obtain the license or credential prior to beginning our program.
Click here for additional state authorization information.
Click below for an in-depth look at Reading Science at the Mount including Online Course Offerings
"I cannot give Dr. Murdoch and the Reading Science program enough praise! I am in my 10th year of teaching and the Reading Science program has completely changed my outlook on teaching reading. I have learned more through this program than in my 5-year undergraduate program and my 2-year MEd combined. I will be forever grateful for the inspiration and knowledge!"
-Scott, Intervention Specialist
The Ohio Literacy Project/LETRS Project
Options for Graduate Credit Through Mount St. Joseph University's Reading Science Program
Reading Science program now accepting applications for the May, August and January cohorts.
Program curriculum is based on National Reading Panel report recommendations. Coursework includes LETRS (Language Essentials in Teaching Reading and Spelling) and Orton-Gillingham Multisensory Reading.
All reading science programs require a core set of courses (18 credit hours) that address current theories and best practices in teaching reading and literacy
For additional information, please contact the School of Education at 513-244-4801.