The Department of English and Modern Languages at the College of Mount St. Joseph is hosting its 18th Annual Writing Contest.
This is the eighteenth year that the English Department at the College of Mount St. Joseph is sponsoring our annual high school writing contest for sophomores. We are proud of our continued relationship with high schools in the Greater Cincinnati area.
Over the years, hundreds of high school sophomores from local schools have submitted work. Participants, as well as their families and teachers, have joined English Department faculty and student judges for an evening celebrating our talented high school writers.
All entries must be submitted through your high school English teachers with official entry form. Please complete a cover sheet to attach to entries, but do not put names on the manuscripts. High school sophomores from around the Greater Cincinnati area may submit pieces in the following categories:
- Personal Essay
- Deadline for entries is Thursday, February 20.
- Winners/participants will be notified by letter which will be mailed on Friday, March 7.
Please deliver or mail entries to:Elizabeth Bookser Barkley, Ph.D., College of Mount St. Joseph, 5701 Delhi Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45233-1670,
or e-mail entry along with entry form as a .pdf attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Entries will be judged anonymously. Judges will be faculty and students from the Mount’s English and communication studies programs.
Three prizes will be awarded in each category:
- first prize--$100
- two honorable mentions--$50 each.
* If we receive too few entries in one category, or if the quality of entries does not warrant prizes, we will award more prizes in other categories.
Please mark your calendars now for the awards ceremony for all entrants (not just winners), their parents and English teachers to be held at the Mount on Wednesday, March 19, 2014, at 7:00 p.m.
Winners of the 2013 Writing Contest
- First Place: Claire Suetholz Notre Dame Academy
- Honorable Mention: Faith Lynd Mount Notre Dame
- Honorable Mention: Katie Kloska Notre Dame Academy
- First Place: Ethan Myers Cincinnati Christian
- Honorable Mention: Kent Mendoza Anderson
- Honorable Mention: Andi Christopher Mariemont