A major in mathematics/financial economics provides a solid foundation for many technically demanding professions.
Mathematics is alive! Your analytic skills might change the business world! Predictive analytics are changing the dynamics of insurance pricing and loss reserving. Data analytics will change the future of baking and investments. Mining data will inform corporate decision-making. Are you entrepreneurial, a leader, organized, a risk-taker, dedicated, innovative, analytical and ambitious? If so, the Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics and Financial Economics may be the degree for you. A dual major in mathematics and financial economics provides a solid foundation in mathematics as well as business theories and principles.
The program consists of 78-81 credit hours in courses such as:
- Differential Equations
- Mathematical Modeling
- Principals of Accounting I and II
- Principals of Marketing.
Take your Bachelor of Science degree and attend graduate school to study business administration or quantitative analysis or become a(n):
- Certified financial advisor
- Operations research analyst
- Quantitative analyst
- Stock broker.
Students who successfully complete the mathematics/financial economics major will be able to:
- Gain a better understanding of the models that motivate current financial operations
- Apply mathematical concepts to problems in areas of business including finance, economics and accounting
- Analyze business situations and make creative, logical and ethical decisions
- Translate complex and wide-ranging problems into meaningful, testable projects
- Use relevant technology to design solutions to challenges related to business and finance
- Effectively communicate the mathematical reasoning behind such solutions to business executives
- Pursue a profession requiring sophisticated understanding of economics and mathematics.
Christina, a recent graduate, earned a Master of Science in Operations Research from North Carolina State University and is currently working in the Department of Aeromedical Research Data Analytics at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
Solidify your choice in which college to attend by visiting our campus.
Our Scholarships, Grants, and Loans webpage provides valuable information and tools for helping you learn about college financial aid.
Associate Professor of Mathematics