Preparing teachers to be agents of change and champions of young children
These programs are designed for those who want to work with children Pre-K through grade 5.
Master of Arts and Ohio Early Childhood Educator License (Pre-K to Grade 5)
In addition to working with children, you'll also develop skills to successfully work with their families and community agencies. You can obtain your Ohio teacher's license and a master's degree through one of our two programs. Programs include a combination of online, blended, and face-to-face courses. Two programs to choose from:
EC (Early Childhood): An Accelerated 15-month full-time Master of Arts degree program and teaching apprenticeship.
The EC program prepares adults to enter the teaching profession through an intense and exciting learning and apprentice format. A combination of coursework and a nine-month apprenticeship within a K-5 classroom setting immerses the student in the teaching experience.
Both programs have options for adding an Ohio Reading Endorsement and/or Ohio Pre-K Special Education Endorsement.
- Complete the Ohio Early Childhood Education licensure requirements in only 12 months.
- Master of Arts degree, Major in Teaching completed in 3 additional months.
- Cohort group meets and works together throughout the program.
- Program begins in May with four accelerated summer classes that are completed by the middle of August.
- During the academic year, students are embedded in apprenticeships and are enrolled in two accelerated courses at a time.
- As the academic year comes to a close, students start to complete their coursework (including a final integrative project).
Recommended – Submit Application by April 15.
"My teachers at the Mount were experienced educators that not only taught me how to teach young children but were able to provide useful information about their personal experiences in education. These real life experiences are not something you get by reading a book or just taking any class. The faculty were amazing resources that consistently encouraged my success. After completing the program, I not only feel prepared in my own classroom, but also know that I continue to have their support whenever I may need it. Who better to learn to be an educator from than from experienced and passionate teachers?"
-Kathleen, IEC Graduate
Part time EC (Early Childhood): A Traditional Master of Arts degree program.
The part time IEC program prepares adults to enter the teaching profession through a combination of course work with practicum experiences and student teaching. Students will earn licensure in Early Childhood Education and a Master of Arts degree, Major in Teaching through a part-time program.
- Complete the Ohio licensure requirements and Master's degree through a part-time commitment.
- Options for Ohio Reading Endorsement and/or Ohio Pre-K Special Education Endorsement.
- Students can take up to 5 years to complete the Part time IEC licensure and Master of Arts degree program.
- Students can start the program at any point during the year.
- During the academic year, students gain practical experience through 100 hours of practicum experiences over two semesters and 15 weeks of full time student teaching in another semester.
The part-time EC program has rolling admission.
These programs are approved by the Ohio Department of Education. The programs prepare candidates to use the current research and knowledge about child development and learning to promote the development and learning of all young children.
For additional information, please contact the School of Education at 513-244-4801.