The SPTA gets physical therapy students involved to serve their class, community and profession
Mission and Goals
In assimilating to and embracing our role as developing professionals, the SPTA will serve as an extension of the American Physical Therapy Association, Ohio Physical Therapy Association, and Southwest District of the Ohio Physical Therapy Association in advancing the profession and providing service to the community at local, state, national level. The goals of the MSJU SPTA are:
1. To promote and present the topics of interest that contribute to our physical therapy education as requested by SPTA members.
2. To promote and organize participation of SPTA members to local, state Ohio Physical Therapy Association (OPTA) and national American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) events.
3. To allow students to participate in a variety of positions that help contribute to one's professional development.
4. To keep MSJ SPTA members abreast of legislative activities, and ways to become more involved in the legislative process at local, state, and national levels.
5. To be involved with the public pertaining to community service at Mount St. Joseph University and the Greater Cincinnati area.
SPTA Officers 2018-2019
|Vice President||Anna Lynd|
|Event Coordinator||Megan Toomb|
|OPTA Student Rep||Brian Gardner|
Pictured (L-R) Top row: Mike Obert, SPTA Faculty Liaison, Megan Toomb, Brian Gardner, Stephanie Hagedorn; Bottom row: Maria Syfert, Anna Lynd, Amber Elsen
Organ Donation Awareness and Drive
SPTA, in honor of former faculty member, Dr. Pete Mosher, hold an organ donation drive in the Fall of every year. Pete battled severe lung disease and passed away on December 7th, 2013 while awaiting transplantation (more information on Dr. Mosher here). For more information on organ donation visit the Donate Life sites in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.
Fundraiser for Hurricane Relief
The SPTA and the Student Nursing Association teamed up to raise money and donations for hurricane relief efforts for the victim of Hurricane Harvey. Each program competed in a friendly penny war/donation competition where donations were given a monetary value based on the type of item. All proceeds were given to Matthew 25 Ministries. Both programs filled up an entire car full of non-perishable food items to baby supplies!
DPT Students offer their expertise at the MSJ Health Fair
Students from the Class of 2019 and the Class of 2020 offered MSJ faculty and staff ergonomic assessments and information at the 2018 Campus Health Fair
MSJU Golf Outing
Mount St Joseph University’s Student Physical Therapy Association (SPTA) holds an annual golf outing every September. The golf outing proceeds help support SPTA funded opportunities for professional development (e.g. state and national conferences and seminars) and advocacy (e.g. community service projects, and mentorship). A portion of the funds goes to the Mercer-Marquette Challenge to support new investigators in the field of physical therapy. The outing is always a scramble (team-work!). We thank everyone who participated this year and years past.
MSJ at CSM 2018
Instructor Mike Obert with DPT Class of 2019 students (L to R) Kari Lockwood, Jen Rae, and Lauren Knasel