FAQs: Adult Students | Mount St. Joseph University

Frequently Asked Questions for Adult Students

The Mount classifies adult students as those who have been out of high school for four or more years at the time of enrollment.  These students may have completed some college coursework and may wish to transfer credits.

I’m interested in attending the Mount, what should I do?

Talk to an admission counselor!

E-mail Amy Gamble, or call 513.244.4538 or 800.654.9314 ext 4538

E-mail Amy Wolf, or call 513.244.4204 or 800.654.9314 ext 4204 

Begin the admission process by completing our application and scheduling an interview with an admission counselor by calling 513.244.4532 or 800.654.9314 ext 4532.  During your interview with a counselor, we can talk about your academic interests, take a look at your transfer work, and provide you with our degree requirements. 

What are your criteria for admission?

An adult student with no previous college work:  In addition to your application and visit interview, you will also need to submit your official high school transcript or GED and complete the COMPASS test.

An adult transfer student:  In addition to your application and visit interview, you will need to submit your official college transcript(s) from any regionally accredited institution attended.  After review of your transfer work, a COMPASS assessment may be needed.  Please note: the nursing and athletic training programs require submission of your official high school transcript.

Please consider that some academic programs require a separate admission into their program.  Applicants for athletic training and nursing require additional review and acceptance from those programs.  Admission to the University does not guarantee admission to the program.

Will the college credit I already have transfer?

We accept transfer credit from other regionally accredited institutions.  College-level work completed with a grade of “C” or higher is normally accepted.  Developmental coursework is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.  Co-op, Internship, Practicum, Student Teaching, Clinical, and other hands-on related credit does not automatically transfer.  You will want to refer to our complete list of transfer policies for more information.

When does evaluation of my credit occur?

Once you have been admitted to the University, an official evaluation of your credit is completed.  During this evaluation the Office of Admission will review your transfer work for Core Curriculum and general credit.  You will then receive a copy of your completed evaluation by mail.  *Academic departments determine the applicability of transfer courses to their program requirements.  Your academic department will also receive a copy of your evaluation. 

Your transcript analyst’s contact information will be provided with your evaluation so that you can follow up with any questions you might have!

Is there anything I can do if I’d like to get an idea of how my credits would transfer before I’m admitted?

Yes!  The Office of Admission will gladly do an unofficial review of your transfer work prior to your application or admission to the University.  Provide a copy of your academic record and a transcript analyst will review your work for potential transfer credit.

What is your academic calendar like?

Our academic calendar consists of two 16-week semesters and a shorter summer session.  A full look at our calendar is available online.

How many classes do you have to take at a time?

Full-time students take anywhere between 12 – 18 credit hours per semester.  Generally, this means taking 4 – 6 classes at a time.  Part-time students take anywhere between 1 – 11 credit hours per semester.  This usually means taking 1 – 3 classes at a time.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the appropriate academic year.  Include our school code: 003033.  After admitted to the University, your FAFSA will be processed.  You will receive a financial aid award letter detailing your eligibility. 

To find more information on payment options, our tuition deferment program, and scholarships such as our Transfer Scholarship, Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship, and Adult Scholarship, please visit the Office of Student Administrative Services or call 513.244.4418, or 800-654.9314 ext 4418.

Is childcare available?

Yes, our Children’s Center, located in the Harrington Center, is open from 7:45 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday during the fall and spring semesters.  The Center is closed during the summer and for all University holidays.  Information on registration and rates are available online.

I work during the day, is it possible to take classes in the evening or on the weekend?

Yes!  A variety of courses are available in the evening, on the weekend, and online.  Select programs can be completed in these formats also.


See All


See All