By expanding and exploring your world, you create new memories and bring your education to life. For Mount students, countless possibilities to do just that lie in their own backyard—with restaurants, malls, museums, parks, and more, the Mount’s home city of Cincinnati gives you the opportunity to explore, and because campus is a short 15 minute drive (or about a $12 Uber ride) from downtown, you won’t have to break the bank on gas money to get where you’re going.
Not from the area or unsure of what to do? Here are seven sites to add to your Cincinnati Bucket List:
- Newport-on-the-Levee: Newport-on-the-Levee is home to a movie theatre, mall, Barnes & Noble Booksellers, aquarium, and more. If you’re looking for a way to spend the weekend or a long evening, try Newport. Drive time: 20 minutes.
- Cincinnati Art Museum: If you’re looking for a peaceful activity with little cost, look no farther. The Art Museum is the perfect option and features art from around the world, and the best part—admission is free! Parking is free, too, if you don’t mind a short walk. Drive time: 17 minutes (located near Krohn Conservatory in Eden Park. Visit two places at once!).
- Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden: Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden is the second oldest zoo in the United States, and it features 70 acres of plants and wildlife. Be sure to check it out in the winter, too, during the Festival of Lights. Drive time: 24 minutes.
- Fountain Square Plaza: A great place to visit all year round, Fountain Square Plaza is home to live entertainment and many restaurants and shops. It is also a very central space in Cincinnati with reasonably priced parking where you can leave your car as you begin to explore the city. Drive time: 19 minutes.
- Krohn Conservatory: Open year round, the Cincinnati greenhouse Krohn Conservatory resides in a vast park space and features special outdoor shows/exhibitions. In the winter, you can visit the Palm, Tropical, Desert, and Orchid houses to see flowering and thriving plants despite the freezing air outside. Drive time: 17 minutes (located near the Cincinnati Art Museum in Eden Park. Visit two places at once!).
- Findlay Market: Findlay Market, home to more than 40 indoor vendors, offers a variety of meats, fish, poultry, produce, flowers, and more, and it is open all year. If you’re looking for a place to find a new food to try or a special gift, give Findlay Market a go. Drive time: 19 minutes.
- US Bank Arena: At US Bank Arena, you can experience exciting concerts, hockey games, and more. It’s a great way to spend an evening with friends, and think of all the memories you’ll make! Drive time: 19 minutes.
No list can cover all the amazing things you can find in Cincinnati, and no list should try because that’s part of the fun in exploration, especially in college as you make your own memories and discover new things. Cincinnati was also recently named one of the Top 10 Cities to Watch (in the world!) based on its vibrant culture and affordability for recent college graduates, so there are sure to be plenty of new sites to discover.
Unsure of what to do next? Visit our Life in Cincinnati webpage for inspiration.