Position Title: Athletic Trainer
Department: Athletics & Recreation
Reports to: Head Athletic Trainer
Mount St. Joseph University is accepting applications for the full-time, professional staff appointment of Athletic Trainer. The successful candidate will assist in the implementation and management of the sports medicine service program and the professional preparation of athletic training students.
Provides/direct medical services to teams as assigned, and assists in the supervision of medical services for all student-athletes to include:
- Prevention of athletic injuries
- Recognition and evaluation of athletic injuries
- Acute care of athletic injuries
- Rehabilitation of athletic injuries
Assist in the organization and administration of athletic training to include:
- Participate in pre-participation physical examinations for all athletes
- Clinical education and supervision of athletic training students
- Maintaining and supervising maintenance of accurate medical records for all athletes
- Coverage of athletic team practices and events by the athletic training staff
- Informing the coaching staff of the physical and emotional status of their athletes as it pertains to their participation in that particular sport.
- Travel with athletic teams as requested by Head Athletic Trainer
- Education and advising of athletes regarding personal health.
- Daily communication with team physicians
Duties, Athletic Training Education Program:
Other institutional duties not specific to the athletic department: Pro-rata (25%) faculty position in the Athletic Training Major at the rank of Instructor.
- Three (3) credit hour classroom and/or laboratory instruction load per year
- Three (3) credit hour clinical supervision/preceptor load per year
Attend monthly academic department meetings
Participate in student recruitment, retention and orientation activities.
Duties not program specific:
Supports the total athletic program
Demonstrates integrity and upholds the values and mission of the University.
Committee assignments and other duties appropriate to skills and training as assigned by supervisors
Contributes to team effort by welcoming new and different work requirements; exploring new opportunities to enhance the services of the division; helping others accomplish related job results as and where needed.
Primary Contacts: Department Director, Associate Director, coaching staff, Athletic Training staff, Athletic Training staff, Athletic Training and other Health Science faculty, team physicians
Supervision Exercised: Athletes, Athletic Training Students
Supervision Received: Works under general direction toward broadly defined objectives; refers specific problems to the Head Athletic Trainer only when clarification or interpretation of organizational policies is involved. May also receive direction from the Athletic Training Education Program Director and Athletic Training Education Program Clinical Coordinator, Team Medical Director, and Team Physician(s).
Education: Master's degree required & Board of Certification (BOC) certified in Athletic Training and Ohio Licensed in Athletic Training
Experience: Two to four years of college athletic training preferred. Teaching and clinical supervision experience preferred.
Specialized Training: Excellent verbal and written communications. Proficient in use of Microsoft Office software. Proficient in use of: Athletic Training supplies and equipment, therapeutic modalities, computer and software. Valid driver’s license required. American Red Cross (ARC) Instructor Certifications in Responding to Emergencies and CPR for the Professional Rescuer is preferred, but not required.
Work Environment/ Physical Work Demands: Multiple service hours; computer data input; multiple concurrent tasks with service interruptions; extensive customer contact; extensive standing or sitting in one position for long periods; computer data input; strict confidentiality; detailed work
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and contact information with three professional references via e-mail to Brian.Lewton@msj.edu. Please include Attn: Athletic Trainer in your subject line. A review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.