Position Title: Controller
Classification: Administrative Staff I
Department: Fiscal Operations
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
The successful incumbent will be responsible for the management and supervision of all fiscal operations functions in support of the mission of the University.
- Maintain with accuracy and integrity the accounting system, including the administration of cash receipts, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, loan collections, general ledger, fixed assets, investments, and restricted and grant accounting using fund accounting
- Manage cash position
- Prepare financial reports and financial analysis for internal and external sources
- Oversee and direct the annual financial audit, the annual A-133 audit, and specialized audit engagements, by coordinating and planning with the independent audit firm; Prepare audit reports and related footnotes.
- Prepare year-end financial and interim statements according to GAAP
- Oversee the preparation of 990 and 990T tax returns, 941’s, 1098’s, 1099’s, and W-2’s
- Review G5 reconciliations and draw down federal monies
- Manage investment accounting and reporting
- Comply with federal, state, and institutional policies and procedures; stay current with changes from FASB and NACUBO
- Evaluate and maintain a system of internal controls for all University financial processes
- Administer and monitor Fiscal Operations’ budget
- Coordinate copier/supplies contracts; liaison between outside vendors and internal departments
- Liaison with Student Administrative Services for coordination of staffing needs in peak times
- Ensure back-up for payroll processing
- Maintain financial accounting tables, forms, and rules in Jenzabar software system. Set up and maintain permissions
- Issue and control the use of company credit cards.
- Assist with calculating direct/indirect costs of academic departments
- Responsible for retention, destruction and storage of financial records in accordance with University Retention policy
- Participate on University committees, including ex-officio member of University Planning and Budgeting Committee
- Staff support to Board of Trustees, Audit/Finance Committee and Investment Committee
- Supervise, coach, and evaluate staff using effective management techniques within the guidelines of University policies and procedures; provide development opportunities for staff when appropriate
- Other duties as assigned by the CFO or President
- Contributes to team effort by welcoming new and different work requirements; exploring new opportunities to enhance the services of the division; helping others accomplish related job duties where needed
Primary Contacts: Chief Financial Officer, Fiscal Operations Staff, Student Administrative Services Staff, Institutional Advancement Staff, Mount faculty and staff; students, vendors, banking relationships, student workers and other members of the Mount community, Audit/Finance Committee and Investment Committee of the Board of Trustees, external audit firm.
Supervision Exercised: Four professional staff, two support staff, and student workers
Supervision Received: Works under general direction toward broadly defined objectives; refers specific problems to the Chief Financial Officer when clarification or interpretation of organizational polices are involved
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CPA required
Experience: Minimum of five years related working experience, preferably in higher education or non-profit; supervisory experience.
Specialized Training: Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel; experience in fund accounting; experience with computer technology in financial, management, and business information systems applications; good communication skills
Work Environment/ Physical Work Demands: Standing or sitting in one position for long periods; computer data input; multiple concurrent tasks with constant service interruptions; high level customer contact; strict confidentiality; detailed work.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and contact information with three professional references via e-mail to Human.Resources@msj.edu. Please include Attn: Controller Search in your subject line. A review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Lions have 3 golfers honored by HCAC after an impressive second place finish at the conference championships. Read More
The Mount St. Joseph men's golf team had a great weekend finishing in second place at the HCAC tournament Read More