Part-Time Administrative Assistant – Upward Bound
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Status: Support Staff
Department: Upward Bound
Classification: Support Staff IV
Reports to: Director, Upward Bound
Purpose: The Upward Bound Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing part-time support functions related to the Upward Bound program. This position is grant-funded, wherein employment is contingent upon the renewal of the grant and carries no layoff or reinstatement rights.
- Provide telephone and in person service and support to program, students, parents and other members of the college and local community; greets office visitors; maintains daily schedule for program staff; makes travel arrangements and schedules appointments as requested
- Provides word processing/production support for program and staff; composes correspondence, edits material for grammatical correctness; assists in preparation of reports and routine correspondence
- Assists in quarterly and annual update of program goals and objectives; assists in collecting and compiling data needed for special projects, programs, activities and Federal reports
- Create and maintain office filing system including participant files; maintains participant eligibility pool records and academic records of program participants
- Responsible for distribution of program information and participants' applications and for answering general questions pertaining to the program
- Maintains office supply inventory; processes purchase orders; operates office equipment; processes participants' stipends and student time sheets
- Assists in overall program planning and evaluation and participates in staff meetings as necessary
- Contributes to team effort by welcoming new and different work requirements; exploring new opportunities to enhance the services of the department; helping others accomplish related job results as and where needed.
Primary Contacts: Students, Department Staff, Academic Affairs Division Staff, and other members of the University community.
Supervision Exercised: None
Supervision Received: Works toward a previously defined objective with little supervision and uses a wide range of procedures; plans and arranges own work referring unusual cases to the Supervisor.
Education/Qualifications: Minimum qualifications include the successful completion of 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of concentrated post high school course work in an accredited administrative, business, or closely related school, an Associate’s Degree, or a combination of administrative and detailed work experience with urban high school students. Preference will be given to candidates who are from a low income and first-generation college student background who meet the stated qualifications.
Experience: PC software experience; Experience working with diverse racial-ethnic and economic populations, particularly adolescents.
Specialized Training: Any combination of education, experience, or training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
Work Environment, Physical Demands: Multiple service hours; computer data input; multiple concurrent tasks with service interruptions; extensive customer contact; strict confidentiality; detailed work.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and contact information with three professional references via e-mail to Human.Resources@msj.edu. Please include Attn: Administrative Assistant, Upward Bound Search in your subject line. A review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
To send requests for a complete job description to Human.Resources@msj.edu