Division: University Communications
Reports to: Director of Marketing
Review Date: June 2017
Purpose: The Social Media Manager is responsible for developing and advancing the social media strategy of the University, utilizing its primary social channels. This position plays a critical role in delivering the University’s strategic messaging by engaging key audiences via new and established social channels, along with increasing brand awareness through campaigns and social media advertising. This position will be responsible for developing and administering social media content that is designed to engage users and create an interactive relationship between prospective students, parents, alumni and the university. This position also advises the Mount’s campus community on social media best practices and works within the Division of University Communications to manage crisis communications through social media channels. The successful candidate will be required to collect and review social media data to develop more effective campaigns.
1. Create daily content for University’s primary social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat. Source of content includes photos, video, written content and web links.
2. Work closely with the University Communications team to develop social media campaigns that help to achieve university goals.
3. Develop monthly reports on emerging social media trends that will be reviewed with the director of marketing and shared at team meetings with the rest of the University Communications division.
4. Monitor the university’s social media accounts and offer constructive interaction with users.
5. Analyze the short and long-term needs of the University’s social media strategy and offer suggestions to the University Communications team that outline any necessary changes to the digital marketing plan.
6. Participate in and support the efforts and strategic direction of the University Communications division, including new technologies, job requirements and priorities.
7. Uphold and promote the use of social media standards and the University brand standards and style guidelines.
8. Assist with implementation and measurement of social media and web advertising initiatives.
Primary Contacts: Division of University Communications, Division of Institutional Advancement, Office of Admissions, faculty, and various student support departments.
Supervision Exercised: Oversees projects of student worker(s), co-op students, as well as freelancers/consultants as needed.
Supervision Received: Works under general direction where standard practice enables the employee to proceed independently on routine work referring questionable cases to a supervisor; refers specific problems to a supervisor when clarification or interpretation of organizational polices are involved.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher in field related to social media management, communications, interactive media or marketing
Experience: Excellent written and verbal communication skills. 1-2 years experience in writing/marketing/communications, with experience in online marketing or social media e-commerce preferred. Experience in planning and implementing social media content strategy, digital communications, and multimedia applications also preferred. Experience in higher education preferred.
- Experience in managing official social media accounts of a small-to-medium sized organization, particularly in the nonprofit sector.
- Experience with training individuals on the best practices for social media.
- A demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook), Hootsuite, Sprout Social or other interactive social media management applications and tools. Intermediate skills in video editing and publishing are preferred but not required.
- A demonstrated proficiency with current social media trends and social analytics.
Customer Service: Provide exceptional service in all responsibilities and interactions demonstrating versatility in handling people and situations. Adapt and prioritize responsibilities to support new projects within the University Communications division.
- Work well with people from all levels of the University in a collaborative, team environment to accomplish goals, build consensus, and meet project deadlines. Contribute to team effort that is advocated by the University.
- Develop and nurture an effective, productive and respectful rapport and working relationship with campus clients and external clients, maintaining appropriate level of professionalism.
- Work collaboratively with other University Communications team members to further the University’s relationships with targeted enrollment and fund-raising audiences.
Communication: Ability to communicate information clearly and concisely and to listen well to others. Maintain appropriate level of professionalism in communications.
- Ability to use University electronic communications, i.e., Microsoft Outlook.
- Maintain a high level of accuracy, consistently reviewing work to detect errors, oversights or omissions.
- Take immediate and independent action for creative problem solving.
- Accomplish tasks with follow through to completion.
Technical: Must have knowledge of and experience with the required software packages; ability to learn and stay current with new software.
Physical Demands/ Work Environment: Office work plus attendance/participation in meetings on and off campus;
participation in University events and activities as assigned; multiple concurrent tasks with interruptions; interaction with campus clients and vendors; detailed work. Be available outside of normal business hours for urgent or emergency needs.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and contact information with three professional references via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include "Attn: Social Media Manager" in your subject line. A review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Mount St. Joseph University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
After a 34-year career at the Mount, Chief Financial Officer Anne Marie Wagner has decided to retire at the end of 2017. Read More
Studio San Giuseppe hosted summer art camps in June and July for young future artists. Read More