Mathematics majors learn how to formulate and solve real-world problems.
Students in the Department of Mathematics will work closely with expert faculty and will learn how to formulate and solve real-world problems. Through coursework emphasizing creative and critical thinking as well as precise and accurate expression of solutions, students gain a deep understanding of the processes in mathematics, methods of formal proof, problem solving techniques and applications of computers in mathematics.
A Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics is intended for students who prefer to focus on theoretical mathematics. Those with an interest in teaching math at the high school level should check out program requirements for a B.A. in math with an AYA licensure. Students who prefer an applied approach should pursue a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics where they choose from a specified list of minors including biology, psychology or computer science.
Why Mathematics at the Mount?
- Exposure to pure and applied mathematics for a well-rounded background
- Departmental scholarships and awards to assist students who go above and beyond
- Small class sizes, personal attention and a welcoming atmosphere for a healthy learning environment
- Individual math research as well as a co-op experience to prepare you for your future career
After the Mount?
With a math degree from Mount St. Joseph University students have endless career opportunities. Some options include:
- Actuarial Science; Life and Pension; Casualty
- Adolescent to Young Adult Mathematics Education
- Mathematical Biologist
- Quantitative Analyst
News and Updates
Stay up to date with the most recent mathematics program news and events; visit the department of mathematics page.