Develop discernment for the needs of others and facilitate the learning process as an Educational Studies major.
The Educational Studies program is an individualized program designed for students with an interest in the field of education, focusing in areas other than formal classroom teaching and/or teacher licensure. This program offers a solid foundation of liberal arts, social sciences and education courses, with flexibility for pursuing electives, a minor or even a dual major in an area of interest. Educational Studies graduates can pursue graduate programs in education, counseling, business administration or organizational leadership.
Graduates with this degree may progress into careers in fields such as:
- Disability Services
- Family and Children Services
- Program Development (for corporations and nonprofits)
- Adult education
- Higher education
- Community outreach agencies
Students successfully complete 120 credit hours in coursework in their area of interest, such as:
- Foundation, Policy and Professional Practice
- Human Exceptionalities
- Social Policies and Issues
- Sociological Theories
- Educational Assessment
- Lifespan Development.
Students who successfully complete the Educational Studies major will:
- Use social, cultural, political, and historical perspectives to critically examine educational policies, structures and practices.
- Understand and identify the needs of learners as related to diverse characteristics, content and context.
- Evaluate educational policies, structures and practices in terms of making learning accessible to diverse learners.
- Demonstrate skills for planning and teaching in a supportive environment.
- Utilize professional communication and collaboration for educational purposes.
Co-op and service learning immerse students in the real world and provide rich opportunities for experiential learning and the application of skills and knowledge learned in the classroom. Students work under the supervision of a faculty member and an agency professional in a variety of non-profit and for-profit organizations and community partners.
Tour campus, get to know what makes us unique! Schedule a visit today.
Calculate your affordability—visit our Scholarships, Grants, and Loans webpage to learn more about your tuition and financial aid options.
Undergraduate Chair- School of Education Director of Clinical Experiences, Assessment Coordinator